Sellano is a small Umbrian town with an attractive location surrounded by wooded hills. Several hundred years ago Sellano had an imposing castle and was completely surrounded by defensive walls, with the walls further developed in 1552 when Sellano rebelled against Spoleto. The castle, around which the village developed, is no longer in existence.The landscape around the village of Sellano is full of interesting artifacts, such as at Commoro where the 14th century church of Saint Maria Novella is situated, with a stone portal. Sellano, situated in the valley of the stream Vigi, a right-hand tributary of the Nera river, was founded in around 84 B.C. by the Romans. Never having been strong enough to win its independence, but being of great stategic importance because of its geographic situation, its fate through the centuries was always linked to that of the neighbouring cities. In the following epocas, it therefore fell under the rule of the Duchy of Spoleto, then under that of the Papal State and finally, under the lordship of the Collicola family.